Make your own free website on

State Specific Immunization Exemption Info

Vaccine News

Info from the link in case the link doesn't work

4 AAC 06.055. Immunizations required

(a) Before entry in a state public school district or nonpublic school offering pre-elementary education through the 12th grade, or any combination of these grades, a child shall be immunized against

(1) diptheria, tetanus, polio, pertussis, measles, and rubella, except that pertussis is not required in children over six and rubella is not required in children 12 years or older; and

(2) beginning July 1, 2001, mumps, hepatitus A, and hepatitus B.

(b) This section does not apply if the child

(1) has a valid immunization certificate consisting of

(A) a statement by a physician listing the date that each required immunization was given; or

(B) a copy of a clinic or health center record listing the date that each required immunization was given;

(2) has a statement signed by a doctor of medicine (M.D.), doctor of osteopathy (D.O.), physician assistant, or advanced nurse practitioner licensed to practice in this state, stating that immunizations would, in that individual's professional opinion, be injurious to the health of the child or members of the child's family or household; or

(3) has an affidavit signed by his parent or guardian affirming that immunization conflicts with the tenets and practices of the church or religious denomination of which the applicant is a member.

(c) A student registering in a school in a community where regular medical services are not available on at least a weekly basis and who does not have the required immunizations, may be provisionally admitted to a pre-elementary, elementary or secondary program for a reasonable period of time for the prevailing circumstances but not exceeding 90 days after enrollment. No children will be provisionally admitted except in exceptional circumstances. Where exceptions are granted, they shall be reported to and discussed with the communicable disease section of the division of public health, Department of Health and Social Services, who will then be responsible for determining that the required immunizations are completed during the provisional period.

(d) If a parent or guardian is unable to pay the cost of immunization, or immunization is not available in the district or community, immunization shall be provided by state or federal public health services.

(e) Immunizations shall be recorded on each pupil's permanent health record form.

(f) School districts shall initiate action to exclude from school any child to whom this section applies but who has not been immunized as required by this section.

History: Eff. 1/13/73, Register 44; am 8/28/77, Register 63; am 12/30/2000, Register 156

Authority: AS 14.07.020

AS 14.30.125